It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to the 4th Fighter Group Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Debden Pilot Roommates
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:27 pm 

Pilots flew in element pairs; element leader and wingman. Pilots assigned to the 4th FG were evidently assigned to room facilities in pairs , not unlike college roomates. Do such room assignment records exist? It is probably an impossible question to answer, but as his nephew, I would like to know who
Lt. Thomas K. McDill 336 roomed with duiring his time at Debden from April 4 through May 25, 1944. Next time I will try to ask
a more reasonable question.

Post subject: Re: Debden Pilot Roommates
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 am 

Actually Russ, that's a good question. I don't know of a list off hand, but here are some fellows that I know of:

Don Gentile - Steve Pisanos
Jim Goodson - Mike Sobanski
George Carpenter - Leon Blanding
Frank Speer didn't have room mate while he was there.
Don Blakeslee - "Wild" Bill Kelly. When Blakeslee first transferred over from RAF.
Herb Blanchfield - Bob Wehrmann

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

On his first tour, John Godfrey was roommates with Bob Richards. After Richards was killed, Bob Tussey moved in. Not sure who he roomed with on his second tour, but it was either a 1/Lt or a 2/Lt with an outside chance of it being a capt. with less time in grade than he.

tmccann@4thfightergroupassociation.org

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:00 pm 

Hi Bruce,

I believe Colonel Blakeslee transferred to the USAAF directly from the RCAF in September, 1942. He did indeed fly with one of the Eagle Squadrons, but only as a seconded RCAF pilot.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:04 pm 

Here is yet another pair of Debden Pilot Roommates: Robert S. Sherman and Grover Siems. Still don't know who McDill's roommate was. Russ Brengelman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 pm 

Major Frederick Wendall "Freddie" Glover and Major Louis Herman "Red Dog" Norley.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 am 

That is a good question. I've been wondering about that myself the past few days as I had just posted a photo of my father's room on facebook. He frequency mentions visitors, card games etc in "his" room but never said "our" room or mentions a roommate. I think I'll check in on good old Bob Nelson and ask him. I usually let a few questions pile up before I call. I also thought it was interesting the Gentile and the Greek shared a room since they were in different sqdns.

Dave Raphael sends...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:26 pm 

I spoke with Bob Hills. His first roomie was Chuck Carr. They lived in one of the houses by the mess. When Bob Fraser was killed at the end of Feb '44, his roomie, 334th Flt Surg Doc Blackburn, asked Bob of he was interested in moving into the vacant part of the room with him. Bob accepted and finished off his tour rooming with Blackburn in the main Mess building.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Russ,

This turned out to be a great question...more than 'reasonable' for sure! I think we should put it forth to the members in the next Eagle Eye - see what turns up. We can also make a mention on the 4th Facebook page - you never know who's out there watching.

Good show!

Cheers,

tmccann@4thfightergroupassociation.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 pm 

Just a suggestion - Debden has the same officers club architecture (to an RAF site plan) as Duxford has. Some rooms (2-story wings) at Duxford had three officers in them. Would Debden's rooms also have had three to some rooms?? Just musing. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next